VegWeek 2017 press release:
Celebrities Inspire Thousands to Go Meat-Free for VegWeek
April 5, 2017 — With 52 weeks in a year, why not make at least one meat-free? That’s the idea behind Compassion Over Killing’s annual VegWeek campaign, an international celebration of meatless eating spanning April 17-23.
Thousands take the 7-Day VegPledge each year, committing to explore the joys and flavors of plant-based eating. Celebrity inspiration includes VegWeek campaign endorsers like actress and author Alicia Silverstone, musician Moby, actress Emily Deschanel (Bones), singer Mya, singer-songwriter Belinda Carlisle (The Go-Gos), actor and model Richie Kul, and TV personality Daisy Fuentes.
Vegan pro-sports stars like Olympian Seba Johnson, bodybuilder Torre Washington, surfer Tia Blanco, and MMA fighter Aaron Simpson are also touting the many health benefits of a vegan diet.
To keep VegPledgers motivated, dozens of companies – including Beyond Meat, Herbivorous Butcher, and Follow Your Heart — are offering deals, discounts, and easy meal ideas.
In honor of Earth Day, VegWeek highlights the positive planetary impact of a plant-based diet. The United Nations’ Food & Agriculture Organization states that raising animals for food contributes 14.5% of human-induced greenhouse gas emissions, and Oxford University researchers found that a global shift to vegan eating could slash food-related emissions by 70%.
“VegWeek is a free, fun, and flavorful way to explore the many benefits of vegan eating,” said Erica Meier, Executive Director of Compassion Over Killing. “Our dietary choices have far-reaching impacts on our health, the planet, and animals, and every time we choose plant-based foods, we are helping to build a better world.”
Compassion Over Killing first launched this popular campaign in 2009, with inspiration from now-US Congressman Jamie Raskin. Joining as a VegWeek Endorser again this year, Congressman Raskin says, “VegWeek rocks! Thanks to the great people at Compassion Over Killing for changing America with their creative organizing and uplifting events. See you there!”
For more details and to join the fun, visit: VegWeek.com.
# # #
Compassion Over Killing (COK) is a nonprofit animal protection organization working to end the abuse of farmed animals through undercover investigations, litigation, corporate outreach, public education, and other advocacy programs. COK.net
- Celebrities Inspire Thousands to Go Meat-Free for VegWeek Look to the Stars
- VegWeek Campaign Fox Baltimore
- #VegWeek2017: Take the VegPledge Jess Get Better
- Celebrities Inspire Thousands to Go Meat-Free for VegWeek Biz Journals
- Twin Cities – VegWeek 2017: Take the VegPledge ExploreVeg.org
- For Earth Day, You May Adopt a Piece of Earth from NASA Tech Times
- Vegan Sloppy Joes – VegWeek 2017 VegVids
- Will You Go Meatless With Me for VegWeek 2017? Beautifully Bohemian
- Celebrities Inspire Thousands to Go Meat-Free The Culinary Scoop
- California’s 52 District, Congressman Scott Peters Issue VegWeek Proclamation Veg San Diego
- San Diego politicians go vegetarian for a week Fox 5 San Diego
- San Diego elected officials to maintain vegetarian diet in observation of VegWeek KUSI
- VegWeek: San Diego Officials Commit to Meat-Free Eating on Behalf of Animal Rights Patch
- VegWeek 2017 with Paulette Benjamin, Compassion Over Killing America Meditating Radio
- VegWeek Washington, DC Dining Guide 2017 Brightest Young Things
- Compassion Over Killing’s Erica Meier on BrainFood from the Heartland Louie b Free Radio
- Have You Taken the VegPledge? VegWeek Starts Today! nicobella organics
- VegWeek April 17-23 Main Street Takoma
- VegWeek Promotes Plant-Based Eating for Seven Days Dr. Brite
- San Diego Politicians Go Veg for a Week VegNews
- This is how to go vegetarian for a week in Austin CultureMap Austin
- Best Weekend Bets Brightest Young Things